Elegant answer to what is high altitude sickness?
The higher you go, less is the oxygen present in the air, and your body need that shit to function properly!
Starting point of Lukla to Everest Base Camp, i.e. Lukla, is 2840 m from sea level. There is a dramatic gain in elevation by the time you reach Kalapatthar at 5545 m. If you avoid acclimatization days in Namche and Dingboche, there is high sick of altitude sickness. Go slowly!
Area higher than 3000 m elevation are prone to altitude sickness. Second day of the trek, you will be at 3440 m in Namche Bazar. Early symptom of altitude sickness start with headache, sometime with headache as well. The first thing about altitude sickness is not to think about it. Know more about the symptoms, preventive measure and way to avoid altitude sickness.
Symptom of High Altitude Sickness in Everest Base Camp
- Swelling extremities
Check above symptoms on you! If you feel do not ascend rapidly, you need to be careful with some safety precautions. Drinking enough waters and taking extra acclimatization day could help significantly.
As a second phase of mountain sickness, you might suffer from HACE & HAPE. In rear cases without any signs of altitude sickness, you might suffer from HACE or HAPE.
High Altitude Cerebral Edema (HACE)
- Swollen skulls because of extreme pressure
- Extreme pressure on skulls might lead to lethargy
- High confusion and disorientation
Immediate medical evacuation is recommended for victim of HACE, to the nearest possible hospitals. If it is not possible to airlift the victims, start immediate guided descend.
High Altitude Pulmonary Edema (HAPE)
- Breathlessness even during full rest
- Fatigue on extreme level
- Babbling respiration
- Dry or wet cough
Respiratory collapse could result ultimate death.
High Altitude Sickness Prevention
- Be mentally strong, do not think about Altitude Sickness
- Trek high and sleep low
- Drink adequate purified water
- Try to limit altitude gain 500 m a day
- Allocate rest day in each gain of elevation by 600 to 700 m
- Carry basic first aid kit and know how to use
High Altitude Sickness Treatment
- Consult doctor if available. There are doctors in Pheriche, Machhermo, Namche, and Gokyo.
- At early symptom, drink enough water and use extra days for acclimatization.
- There is no medicine for altitude sickness, descend is the only way.
- High pressurized Gamow Bag is helpful while treating victim of HAPE.