Where When & How To Issue Trekking Permits

This article was written before September 30th, 2017, with aim to provide accurate information to independent trekker to issue the necessary permits in Kathmandu. With a change in permit system for Lukla to Everest Base Camp Trek you no longer need to obtain TIMS Card. Read more information about the updated permit information here.

Sagarmatha National Park (SNP) Entry Permit can be issued in Kathmandu or at the park entrance on Monjo Village with same cost. So most probably you will be issuing an SNP Entry Permit in Monjo.

If you are doing Jiri to Everest Base Camp then you have to issue two permits in Kathmandu:

  • Gaurishankar Conservation Area Project (GCAP) Entry Permit
  • Trekker’s Information Management System (TIMS) Card

Where to issue these necessary?

You can issue both GCAP and TIMS in the office of National Trust for Nature Conservation (NTNC) and TIMS Counter inside Tourism Board Office, Exhibition Road, Kathmandu. Office is located conveniently near Thamel, which can be easily reached by taxi in 10 min and cost max Rs 200. Here is the location of the Tourism Board:

Everest Base Camp Trek Necessary Permit Issue

When to issue these necessary permits?

You have to issue both GCAP and TIMS in Kathmandu before you leave the city. Please note if you are going Lukla to EBC then you don’t need to issue any permits in Kathmandu.

How to issue these necessary permits?

Fill up the two separate forms and you will need four photos in total for GCAP and TIMS. Submit the form along with fee and wait until they call your name. Collect your permit and double check the dates before you leave the office.