Lobuche or often spell as Lobuje is the close competitor for Island Peak Climbing in Everest Region. At an elevation 6119 m from sea level summit of Island Peak is window for excellent view of Everest, Lhotse and Makalu. Located in the Solukhumbu District, Base Camp of Lobuche is right in the Everest Trek Trail. There are two summit ridge of Lobuche, i.e. Lobuche East and Lobuche Far East. This is somewhat difficult climbing peak.
- Lobuche Difficulty Grade – PD +
Three extra days are needed for this climb. Climbing permits should be obtained.
Update Nov 2015: Case is ongoing, depends of the result permits should be either issued from NMA or Immigration Department.
You don’t need TIMS card, after having climbing permit. You will still need Sagarmatha National Park Entry Permit. High camp should be set at any cost, it is almost impossible to summit directly from base camp with return in same day.
Necessary permits for Lobuche Peak
- Lobuche Peak Climbing Permit
- Sagarmatha National Park Entry Permit
Permit fee structure for climbing had slightly revised. Individual climbing permit should be obtained now, you can’t share permit cost with other people. Dingboche is the nearest place to rent a gears for climbing. Or you can carry rental gears from Namche. You can independently hike trekking trail and can join guided expedition from Lobuche Base Camp. The nearest settlement from base camp is at Lobuche, which is thirty minutes walk.
Lobuche Peak Climbing Itinerary
- Lobuche Peak Base Camp to Lobuche High Camp
- Lobuche High Camp to Lobuche Summit and back to High Camp
- Lobuche High Camp to Lobuche Base Camp and onward
Here is a map with outline itinerary for Lobuche Peak Climbing. Few alternative itinerary are available for approaching Lobuche Peak Base Camp. See our general itinerary. It is best climbed in fall and spring.
Lobuche Peak Climbing Best Time
- October and November
- April and May
Here is oxygen chart below. This shows the oxygen level with change in elevation. You can download this in PDF format as well.
|In meter||In feet|
|Sea Level||100 %|
Top 10 Facts About Lobuche Peak
- Located right next to Everest Base Camp Trek Trail
- Non technical trekking peaks
- Base camp elevation is at 4960 m
- High camp is at 5400 m
- Oxygen percentage at the summit 43 %
- Open Climbing Peak of Nepal
- Awesome view of Everest, Lhotse & Makalu
- First climbed April 25th 1984
- Summit of Lobuche East 6145 and Lobuche Far East measure 6119
- Climbing grade PD +