Everything you need to know about necessary permits | Updated information
Before October 1st, 2017
Tourism Agency Association of Nepal (TAAN) issues and implement the Trekker’s Information Management System (TIMS) Card. In Everest this system existed until September 30th 2017. There used to be two separate types of TIMS Card:
TIMS Card for Independent Trekker
- Green in color
- Rs 2000 Per Person
- Required two copies of photos
- Need to be self present on TIMS Counter
TIMS Card for Organized Trekker
- Blue in color
- Rs 1000 Per Person
- Required one copy of photo
- Arranged by local trekking agency
Note: TIMS Card is still valid in other trekking regions of Nepal.
After October 1st 2017
With decentralization now giving basic rights to local authority TIMS Card is no longer valid for Everest Base Camp Trek. The new local permit system is enforced and it can be obtained only in Lukla. This will cost Rs 2000 for both organized and individual independent trekkers. You do not need photo for this permit.
Sagarmatha National Park Entry Permit
You still need to obtain the Sagarmatha National Park (SNP) Entry Permit, worth Rs 3000 plus 13% tax, i.e. Rs 3390 Per Person. You do not need a photo for this permit. This permit can be issued directly in National Park Entrance at Monjo or you can issue it in Tourism Board Kathmandu.
Additional Permit for Jiri to Everest Base Camp Trek
Gaurishankar Conservation Area Project (GCAP) Entry Permit
Certain parts of Jiri to Everest Base Camp is protected under Gaurishankar Conservation Area Project. So you need to obtain the entry permit. It will cost Rs 2000 for both organized and independent trekker and you have to issue this in Tourism Board Kathmandu.
If you are trekking independently, then you will need two photos and you have to fill up the form. If you want to save time, then just download, print and fill up this application form and go to the Tourism Board. For organized trekkers you will need only one photo and this will be issued by your agency.
Trekker’s Information Management System (TIMS) Card
You will still need the TIMS card, as there are TIMS checkpoints on route from Jiri to Lukla.
Summary of Necessary Permits for Everest Base Camp Trek
- Local Entry Permit Rs. 2000 | Can be obtained in Lukla | Do not a need photo
- Sagarmatha National Park Entry Permit Rs 3390 | Can be obtained in Tourism Board, Kathmandu or National Park Entrance at Monjo | Do not a need photo
Additional to above permits for Jiri to Everest Base Camp
- Gaurishankar Conservation Area Project (GCAP) | Rs 2000 | Need two photo for independent trekkers and one photo for organized trekkers | Have to be issued in Tourism Board Kathmandu
- Trekker’s Information Management System (TIMS) | Green in color, Rs 2000 and two photos for independent trekker | Blue in color, Rs 1000 and one photo for organized trekker
Bonus read: Detailed information about where, when and how to issue the necessary permits for independent trekker for Everest Base Camp Trek.